And So Its Come to This........... a Blog

Why bother with creative original content when one can post the minutiae of a numbingly average life?

Tuesday, January 17, 2006


The internet truly does have everything. For a long time, ever since I read The Enormous Room by e. e. cummings, I've appreciated and even prefered reading editions of books published by the Modern Library. They always have very good introductions and appendixes when necessary, include all previous prefaces by the author, in the case of books such as War and Peace and Don Quixote they have readable translations and all in all, have a nice feel to them.
Anyway, there was a small (and I mean tiny) book sale at the library today and I picked up three books, two (The Possessers by Dostoyevsky and The best Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant, published in 1936 and 1925 respectively and in decent shape) just because they were modern library editions (though I intend to read them too of course). The other one, in case you're curious was a paperback of Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. But anyway, out of bordom I looked up the Modern Library website, very unhelpful, and I found this site.
Just when I was considering collecting them I found out there was already a large following of people who do!
I don't know, it interested me.
Now what I really want is a copy of The Enormous Room, A History of the Borgias and Jane Eyre and all the other books I've read in the 'original' hardcover modern library editions. Apparantly, even with their 'collectibility' they go for pretty cheap, usually a couple bucks at most, becuase all the nerds want the books with the dustcover and without library markings. All the better for me. I've found a hobby that interests me and doesnt take alot of money.
I'm sure you're all aglow with my happiness.

EDIT: Because I can. Pictures of my kittahs.

Mennu, and

Putton

Perhaps next time, I'll post a series of my travels with the magically unravelling adventures of Jessica's hat.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

i love the kittah pictures

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Putting cat photos up is a good way to get us to read your blog!!! : )

Not that I don't read it anyway!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home